What You Can Expect
The Eight-Week Mindful Self-Compassion workshop consists of eight weekly, 2.5 hour sessions, plus a 4-hour retreat. No previous meditation experience is necessary, but helpful. The program combines meditation practice, body practices, short talks and group inquiry to provide a multifaceted and complete program for developing self-compassion and mindfulness in everyday life.
What you will learn in the Eight-Week MSC Program:
- Mindfulness and self-compassion practices for home and everyday life
- Understand the empirically-supported benefits of self-compassion
- How to handle difficult emotions with greater ease
- How to motivate yourself with kindness rather than criticism
- How to identify your inner critic and relate to feelings of perfectionism, low self-esteem and low self-worth in a healthier way
- How to stop being so hard on yourself and become your own best teacher
- How developing compassion can transform challenging relationships, both old and new
- Practice the art of savoring and self-appreciation
During the course, participants are encouraged to work up to a daily practice of formal or informal meditations of 30 minutes per day.
Ottawa Meditation & Wellness Inc. is dedicated to creating a safe, welcome, open and warm environment.
There are also a limited number of scholarship spots available to help to avoid turning away anyone who is genuinely interested in participating in MSC if cost is the only obstacle preventing them from participating. There are limited scholarship spots available in each class. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Short Course in Mindful Self-Compassion
The Short Course in Mindful Self-Compassion (SC-MSC) is a new workshop. This six-week, 75-minute per session workshop that has been adapted for the online teaching environment. The themes that will be covered during this introductory workshop include:
- What is self-compassion?
- Some of the misgivings and benefits
- The physiology of self-compassion
- Self-criticism and safety
- Working with difficult emotions
- Burnout and caregiver fatigue
- Core values and intention
- Self-compassion skills and tools to draw upon during times when you need it most
These themes will be weaved into a workshop that combines some conceptual teaching, short experiential practices and an opportunity to dialogue. Participants will also receive a participant handout booklet and access to recordings.
Self-Compassion for Health Care Communities
Self-Compassion for Health Care Communities (SCHC) is a 6-hour evidence-based healthcare adaptation of eight-week Mindful Self-Compassion program developed by Drs. Kristin Neff and Chris Germer.
This brief training aims to improve wellbeing and personal resilience in healthcare professionals by teaching mindful self-compassion skills to deal with distressing emotional situations as they occur at work and at home. In research conducted in 2019 the SCHC program was found to significantly decrease depression, stress, secondary traumatic stress and burnout, and to increase self-compassion, mindfulness, compassion for others, and job satisfaction in healthcare professionals.
As opposed to other self-care techniques, self-compassion practices can be used on the spot while at work with patients and colleagues. Specifically, participants will learn tools to use throughout the day to:
- Care for yourself while caring for others
- Be able to listen with compassion
- Handle difficult emotions with greater ease
- Reconnect to the values that give your life and work meaning
This program will be available in organizations or to private groups. The minimum number of participants per group is eight.
For more information, please email Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment and cancellation policy
Payment may be made by cheque, or by Interac e-transfer.
A 100% refund will be issued for cancellation requests received up to one week before the start of class.
A 100% refund (minus a $30 processing fee) will be issued for cancellation requests received before the start of class two. No refunds will be issued after that time.
Short Course in Mindful Self-Compassion (SC-MSC)
Tuesdays, October 5 to November 23
12:00 to 1:15 p.m.
Eight-Week Mindful Self-Compassion
Tuesdays, January 25 (orientation) to March 22, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
4-Hour Retreat, March 5, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.